This is an amazing bread alternative. For those of you during your “free meal” who want something that is super filling yet low carb and jam packed with nutrients—this is it!!
Vegan Paleo Bread
1 bread or 12 bread-muffins
You can use any seeds or nuts for this recipe. Or make it completely nut free by only using seeds. The psyllium husks powder is essential for this recipe! If you can’t find it in health food stores, order it online, it’s not expensive at all. If you only can find whole psyllium seeds, it could be worth trying to make it into a fine powder. The bread is also really delicious with added shredded vegetables, like carrots, zucchini, beets, apples etc.
2 tbsp psyllium husks powder + 1 1/2 cup /350 ml water
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g almonds
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g hazelnuts
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g sesame seeds
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g sunflower seeds
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g flax seeds
1/2 heaping cup / 100 g pumpkin seeds
1-2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp /50 ml melted cold pressed coconut oil + extra for greasing the pan or cold pressed olive oil
1 handful raisins or chopped dark chocolate (optional but delicious)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F / 175°C.
2. Mix psyllium husks powder and water in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes, until thick gel consistency.
3. Meanwhile meassure out all nuts and seeds and place in a food processor and pulse a few times, do not grind just coarsely chop.
4. Place in a bowl, add salt and oil and stir.
5. Add the psyllium gel and give it a good stir with your hands.
6. Set aside for 1 hour (This step is optional but the end result will be better).
7. Pour into a greased loaf pan (12 x 4,5 inches / 30 x 10 cm) and bake for 60-70 minutes. Or spoon the batter into a greased 12 hole muffin pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool completely (we know it is difficult but it is very important!) before slicing.
9. Store in a kitchen towel in the fridge for up to a week. Freeze well.
This is also an additional remix of this bread available at the following link: